Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Boom!

I am part of the “Baby Boomer” generation.  My generation helped to destroy the once very common long-lasting marriage. We were the first generation where divorce became commonplace.  My own parents were married 63 years and my grandparents, 55. 

In earlier times when people married, they entered the relationship knowing that it would be permanent.  They had no more or fewer disagreements than people have today, but for most, escaping the marriage was never considered.  They didn’t throw things away… they fixed them!

Today, way too many people get married with, “If it doesn’t work out, we can always get a divorce” in the back of their minds.  They don’t consciously think that way of course, but it is a seed germinating, ready to bloom when challenges in their marriage arise.  I think fewer people with each generation are willing to make a lifetime commitment.

My husband and I will celebrate our 22nd wedding anniversary on January 1, 2015. We were both married previously (I was widowed), neither of us for nearly as long.   We have disagreements.  Everyone does on occasion.  However, we never raise our voices in anger, never call one another names and never cuss at one another.  We always demonstrate respect for one another.

My sister brags that she and her husband have been married 35 years, but she has also told me that they scream and yell at one another and use filthy language when they “fight.”  Hmm.  Is this a “good” marriage because of its longevity?

My husband and I were recently discussing the poor marriage record of Baby Boomers, and we realized that although divorce is very common for those our age, we actually know several people who have been married for a very long time.

We have several couple-friends who have been married more than 30 years, the first marriage for two of those couples.  In fact, we were surprised to realize that most people we know have been married for 20+ years.  Since so many people divorce these days, how is it that we have so many friends in long-lasting marriages?  Do people in good marriages attract or seek out others in good marriages? 

I have found a similar attitude in network marketing.  Most of those in the industry are unwilling to commit to their business; while a small percentage is fully committed, no matter what or how long it takes.  I have developed a few close friendships with other network marketers.  Like the long-married couples I know, those close friendships only seem to be with those who have a similar passion for their business that I have for my own.   

Will the next generation and the next one after that commit to relationships and to their work, or will commitment become less and less common as time goes on?  Of course, I do not know, but I pray it is the former.
***************

For Xpress Healthcare® business opportunity info, visit http://joinxpresshealthcare.com

For affordable discount plans to reduce your Health and Dental expenses AND reduce costs on Hearing, Vision, Prescriptions, Roadside Assistance, Lifelock™ and even more, visit: http://ibourl.net/XpressSavings (NOT insurance). 

I invite you to visit my Facebook Page at http://ibourl.net/XpressFacebook 

No comments:

Post a Comment